Start a new topic

Son off Pow R2 for 220V AC Unit only has 1 input for wiring

I bought a SonOff pow R2 to work with my 220V A/C Unit . My electrician says it cant work because our 220 V system uses 2 input wires but the sonoff only uses 1. he said something about it being a europpean system being different. What can he do to work around it?

The electrician, if he is worth his salt, can size and recommend a contactor/enclosure.  I have bought them on Amazon in the $10 to $30 range and mounted them in metal boxes  in the same neighborhood of price.  You are probably looking at $20 to $50 for the parts. 

By the way, if you intend to monitor the power consumption with the POW then the contactor method will not work.  The AC load current will be passing through the contactor.  The POW will only see the tiny amount of power needed to energize the coil.  You may as well just use a Basic.

Thank you EW. Will I be able to use all the other features of the sonoff? Like remote lock off and using the app to monitor hours of use etc Btw. Is this the only work around you can think of? I like the way your brain thinks. Can you dig any deeper for a more str8 forward solution.
The AC has a remote and also a on/off button on the unit itself. When the son off is installed will I be able to use these turn the unit on or off. Or control will have to be through the son off only?

If it is electronic the Sonoff isn't going to turn it on.   When power is applied the initial state is off and requires a button push.

If it were me I would look at some of the wi-fi enabled AC remotes like the Switchbot.

Login or Signup to post a comment