Start a new topic

Sonoff POW R2 needs Power on State

I have a bunch of old v1 POWs and they all have the Power on State. I recently bought a bunch of POW R2s and have updated thier firmware, it does not have power on state! I had plans to put the POW on my freezer, fridge and ACs. The devices must auto start after a power outage so I do not have to do it myself everytime. The worst case would be after a power outage I am not at home and everything melts away because Sonoff didn't bother to add Power on State on their next gen POW. We need Power on State on POW R2!

27 people like this idea

This option is required to measure continuously the power, of for example a freezer. When there is a power loss for a few seconds, the SonOff POW R2 must reapply the power otherwise all of the products in the freezer are lost.
It was before in the SonOff POW and in the standard SonOff. They are running very fine and I was really disappointed that I can not use the newer SonOff POW R2

Thanks a lot for implementing this feature.

3 people like this

I bought a basic Sonoff switch (no POW) which has the power on state functionality. Nothing is connected to it and it just sits on power. The power on state is checked so this basic switch comes on when power is restored. I then programmed a scene and linked all POW R2s to this basic switch.

Power comes on, the basic switch turn on (through the power on state) and all POW R2s are following and turning on as well. This is just until they release the new firmware. I will then reuse the basic switch for something useful.

2 people like this
I' m at the end of a power line. Normally it works fine but some days there are several times short power losses.I use a standard POW to measure the fridge and that works very fine. I bought some POW  R2 to connect also the freezer, but without the power on state setting they are useless.

2 people like this

Hi Alex,

The R2 as well as the POW are totally OK for low power usage like lights. Just be aware the POW and POW R2 are a lot larger than the Basics. I use both the POW and R2 for high power applications (hot water (1.8kW) and electric vehicle charger (3.5kW)) and they work just fine. I have modified the POW for the charger though as it gets pretty hot in summer time here in Australia and removed the back of the plastic enclosure to allow some more airflow. This works great and I have no problem with heat any more...

The R2 still lacks the Power-On-State though. Firmware is still on 1.0.0. I've contacted their support and this feature is in development for a future release but no ETA at the moment.

2 people like this

Hi WaqasT,
had the same problem - newest eWeLink Version shown in Playstore is 3.5.1.
You can download Ver. 3.5.4 here...
https://ewelink.de.aptoide.com/
(it's an alterantive app-store)
Then install apk over the existing version. This is working for me.
Best Regards
Oli

2 people like this

I want this feauture too. Please add it in next firmware

2 people like this
Henric from Sweden Yes you can install tasmota. But eweling app will no longer work.

2 people like this
Also updated Ewelink to 3.5.4 but still no power on state for the POW R2. The unit is still unusable for me. I go to look for some other solutions.

1 person likes this

for those that are using it on a freezer/fridge, I have a little idea. 

Just go to the settings and add a lot of schedules...
Like:
 mo-fri 09.00, power on

mo-fri 11.00, power on

mo-fri 13.00, power on
etc..

Worst case scenario, your freezer is out for 1 hour and 59 minutes ;) (and that should not be a problem)

I really hope that Itead is taking this seriously :(

1 person likes this

Here you can see the version and the power on state

1 person likes this

Henric, friend.

Do you really think that is a solution?
you can not enter 24 alarms, that is, that plan does not work that well.

SonOff POW R2, is in theory more current than previous versions, how can it be that it lacks this important option that already had the previous versions ?.
I'm really disappointed with this device.

1 person likes this
Really? Still not available in 2.6.1??? When will this function be added!!?

1 person likes this
I have a same problem too. If this continues i will stop using pow r2

1 person likes this

It is incredible that this function that is so basic and important is not added in firmware 2.6.1.

another thing, where can you know what is the improvements of the updates? the typical chages.log

1 person likes this

Please implement this feature!! it is very necessary!!!

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment