Start a new topic

Using Google with seperate on and off switches in RF Bridge

I have a RF light switch which has 2 buttons on the remote, one for turning the lights On and the other to turn them Off.  I have mapped the 2 buttons using the RF Bridge and labelled them as ON and OFF in the app.  

When I say to Google "Turn on Office Light", it responds with "Turning on 2 lights".  The lights turn on.  When I say "Turn off Office Light", it responds with "Turning Off 2 lights" and then the lights turn off and then back on.  I assume that the buttons are being treated as toggle buttons for 2 lights and the On and Off commands activate both buttons.  It just happens that the On button activates after the Off button.

Does anyone know how to configure it so that the "Turn Light On" command only activates the On button and the "Turn Light Off" command only activates the Off button?

I have somewhat similar issues, except what when Google replied with "Turning on Garage Light On", nothing happens. The RF Bridge works well with eWeLink app, able to turn on/off this light with 2 separate buttons.

Graeme: Do you happen to have created a Scene in the App to trigger this event? Maybe there is a trigger to turn it off?

Hi Aaron,

No - I don't have any Scenes configured.  Mine fortunately just works with the buttons configured.  It may be that the lights are being turned on and then off as both buttons are activated.

I have done a workaround which enables me to get the light turned on without it being turned off again:

• I have mapped the 2 buttons from the remote into the RF Bridge calling the Remote "Office". 
  • I named the button that turns the light on as "MainLight"  
  • I named the button that turns the light off as "MainLight Off"
  • In Google Home, I created a Shortcut so that when I say "Turn On Office Lights" or "Turn Office Lights On", etc  Google Assistant will do "Turn On Office MainLight"
With this set up, when I say "Turn On Office Lights", Google turns on the light and says "Sure Turning the Office MainLight On".  When I say "Turn Off Office Lights", Google turns off the light (actually turns them on - but they are already on, and then turns them off, and responds "Sure - Turning off two lights".  I could set up a shortcut for turning the lights off too, to prevent the turning on and off.

It is not perfect, but it works.  It does mean that there is a lot of setup though if you have lots of lights.  

Same problem here, kinka annoying to say "turn on" to turn off.

Used some aliases but they are not usable bay everybody.

Yes this is really an issue when using it with Google Home. I guess this is an issue that cannot really be fixed?

SONOFF RF Bridge - RF Switch non-toggle type compatability with Google Home.

Quick intro: I am writing this, hoping new users will find this information BEFORE planning out your automation with RF Bridge, but guess most likely you have already met with some difficulties thus leading to this topic.  Not giving up on finding the ultimate solution as this IS NOT RF Bridge compatibility problem, however I think only workarounds like the last few posts are the only way out.

Background: My first generation home automation was installing the Ikea Stand Lights on RF Switches, works perfectly and served us well for past years.  After installing Google Home devices recently, I was trading up to more automation options.   SONOFF RF Bridge was the perfect tool.  Its so small and efficient and so far its seamlessly working with my switches.

When connecting to Google Home, then I realized RF Switches have 2 types...  Toggle Switch and Non-Toggle Switch.  Turns out I have both.  All my main lighting in Family Room (Ikea Stand X 4) are connected to Brennenstuhl UK 13A non-toggle and one of the kitchen lights were connected in-line with a Chinese made Tomato switch which is toggle - thus even switching wall plate on and off can toggle the RF.

RF Bridge can be programmed to replicate each transmission (unique button press), so for the toggle switch its only 1 button, and non-toggle will need 2, On and Off.  Why they designed RF switch to use 2 frequencies for ON and OFF, I am quite sure its a feature for safer utility, however in home automation, its just so inefficient.

Google Home will recognize right away whatever freq you have replicated on RF Bridge, and thus will also have 2 buttons per item.  Unless we can program at the level of frequency transmission, there is no way RF Bridge can tx a different freq when you press OFF - same with Google or Amazon.

Workaround: Sacrificing Flexibility and hey, just having a RF remote by voice cmd, is already step forward!  Naming the Family Room Lights ON switch as a group, and OFF switch as another group, I can specify commands in Google Assistant Routines.  So I cannot switch on the front zone or back zone or just 1 light individually.  If later I incorporate light sensors that will switch things on based on indoor sunlight, I will definitely need to tweak more.

Solution: 

A. Buy a new set of RF Switches - Toggle mode.  (not environmental friendly unless someone can take up my old set)

B. Instead of RF, use SONOFF or other Wifi switches (a bridge takes up 1 ip only and its more efficient)

PS. Remember one has to cater for the entire family in automation, when you have members like elderly lacking tech sense, they still prefer a wall switch... in my case, any wall switch will have to be RF ready...

Its been fun, figuring it all out, and I totally see starting RPi and Arduino projects working around the house.

Cheers, if you have any better suggestions, I am sure a lot of users will benefit!

Ciao!

Login or Signup to post a comment