Start a new topic

Ability to downgrade firmware

Hi,

I'm one of the maintainers of the opensource project https://github.com/mirko/SonOTA , however with the latest release there appears to be certificate pinning (or similar) happening. This means that users can only upgrade the firmware in the Sonoff devices if they open it up, and solder in headers.

Using this OTA method users could get all of the benefits of an open platform, without the the need to open up the device and solder etc.

To allow customers to still do this, it would be great if you could either, provide a way of having an alternative update server (with no certificate pinning), or allow using to downgrade to previous versions of firmware that did allow SonOTA to work.

Your help is appreciated to allow every to benefit from the open platform.

Thank you.

154 people like this idea

Thanks @Dejan, I realize that and I have flashed other Sonoff devices via USB converter, but this way is riskier, requires opening the device and more equipment, sometimes even soldering. Certainly only suitable for those capable or brave, so I also can't recommend Sonoff devices to general friends who do not have such skills or equipment. 

In my case, the latest ones I bought are the touch light panels, I had them installed and wired believing I can flash them OTA later, not so, now I will have to have them removed again, flash them them, then reinstall them at great cost. Iin my country any such wiring  work must be done by a licensed electrician. All these are barriers to entry and I think Sonoff should seriously reconsider their position on supporting OTA of custom firmware. Until this is supported, I will use alternate hardware that does.

BTW, new Sonoff devices have option to be flashed easily (not OTA, but...) through USB converter. And after you flash with Tasmota, you can flash them OTA anytime with new firmware. So, it is not a big deal anymore...

Like many others here, I have purchased many Sonoff devices including Touch, Basic & Slampher and I want to continue to be able to build out the more automation in my home and purchase more from you. Friends are also impressed with my setup with earlier versions which I have managed to flash Tasmotta. I recently installed a number of Touch US panels for my lights and I'm disappointed I can no longer flash them with Tasmotta or similar open firmware. 

I will no longer purchase further Sonoff devices and I cannot recommend to my friends unless you provide a way to flash custom firmware OTA. Please update your latest firmware to allow OTA install of open firmware or allow downgrading your firmware so that excellent projects like SonOTA continue to work.

Your products have been competitive from a price point of view, but this is a show stopper. I have already found alternate switch manufacturers running Tuya firmware which can be flashed OTA via https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert and I will continue to purchase their products instead of yours and recommend the same to my friends if you do not fix this issue.

I flashed two sonoff mini with tasmota firmware. I want back to itead firmware so I can use Ewelink. Can I do that?

Thanks.

Yes, I've used it for my sonoffmini... but it's not available for latest firmware versions of sonoff basic.

Keep in mind that tasmota is already rolling out support for ota installation of custom firmwares for some newer devices with Sonoff DIY, where you just need to move a jumper, to be able to do it.

@itead - PLEASE support installing TASMOTA firmware over the air

1 person likes this

I agree Peter!

I must say, I pretty much only bought it because you can flash it. The hardware is great for the price but only in combination with custom firmware.

Gentlemen,

Ive bought $300 worse of sonoff products  and now I need to waste my time with soldering in order to update the firmware.

If you guys really care about security, please talk with tasmota maintaners and add their servers to the allowed firmware upgrade destinations.

This is ridiculous. Ive bought sonoff because everybody been saying that they are easy to flash with tasmota. Now I need to buy new hardware... Thank you sonoff

2 people like this
The option to return to an earlier version is essential.

In any case, you can uninstall the APP and install the firmware version that may interest you.

Different versions must be available.

1 person likes this

Se hace imprescindible la opción a regresar a una versión anterior.

En todo caso, que se pueda desinstalar la APP e instalar la versión de firmware que pueda interesar.

Deben estar disponibles las diferentes versiones.

Don't waste your money on sonoff that you can only flash by soldering. They don't care about their customers. This feed is proof. Get yourself the Shelly products. I did months ago and no regrets.

1 person likes this

I just spent >600USD for Sonoff products. I was thinking that I will be able to use SonOTA to add TASMOTA firmware on it without having to solder anything. I will think next time if I will buy more or use different provider. I hope you change your mind and allow this option. Thanks

I second this.

I have Sonoff POW R2 and after upgrade to latest 3.3.0 version it works worse :(

Current and Power values are updated very very slowly.

I want to go back to previous firmware !

3 people like this

I second this as well. I bought these for the specific purpose just like im sure the majority of people buying sonoff has. please open up

Login or Signup to post a comment