Start a new topic

Ability to downgrade firmware

Hi,

I'm one of the maintainers of the opensource project https://github.com/mirko/SonOTA , however with the latest release there appears to be certificate pinning (or similar) happening. This means that users can only upgrade the firmware in the Sonoff devices if they open it up, and solder in headers.

Using this OTA method users could get all of the benefits of an open platform, without the the need to open up the device and solder etc.

To allow customers to still do this, it would be great if you could either, provide a way of having an alternative update server (with no certificate pinning), or allow using to downgrade to previous versions of firmware that did allow SonOTA to work.

Your help is appreciated to allow every to benefit from the open platform.

Thank you.

142 people like this idea

This could be done in a secure manner, just allow a manual OTA update in AP mode.  Then it would just require physical access on the stock firmware.  Or just add MQTT with homie or homeassistant out of the box without requiring an internet connection and I wouldn't even need a custom firmware.

First and last device bought, I thought I could use it with openhab, since I can't, im not going to buy more :(

1 person likes this

Hey, same as everybody else... I'm starting with home automation in my city and i need OTA functionality!

The new T1 don't even have access to RX/TX so they can't get flashed by wire unless you connect directly to the tiny little pins of the ESP8285. Tasmota is one of the reasons these things got popular and where promoted by tinkerers. I'm sure Sonoff will loose the advantage it has to competitors  and I doubt they will get much promotion from the community in the future.

Is this true, about the Sonoff T1's?

I heard it was only clones that had the headers missing.  Please post a link to pics of the board if you have any.

From what I've read on the Tasmota forums is you can still (with a little skill) get to the pads to flash, even on the clones. 

I'd be very interested to see if Sonoff themselves have made actual changes to their PCB on any of the T1's.

It sure looked original. The pins for rx and tx are only available directly on the microcontroller. Since the legs are less than a Millimeter apart from each other it‘s almost impossible to connect to them. Unless you use watchmaker Equipment I guess.

I second that. I have a few switches with the new firmware and would like to downgrade to use SonOta

I support this feature request. Allowing downgrades would not only benefit the user, but would hugely increase sales of Sonoff products.

2 people like this

+1!!!

1 person likes this

seconding this as well, it much easier and useful of an option to have, thanks for the dev for that :)

1 person likes this
I also bought the devices with the sole purpose of using with Home Assistant and thus not having the internet lag on use. I am most disappointed that I cannot flash them with Tasmota and as such will not be buying anymore Sonoff or recommending any to friends who are just starting their Home Assistant systems. I would also note that EWeLink logs me out every few hours on the mobile App which is another reason to get as far away as possible from Sonoff products and systems. I have been a longtime user of Xiaomi smart home products and the Sonoff App is nowhere near as polished as theirs.

3 people like this

I guess I will NOT be buying anymore sonoff devices until we can roll back as I only use Custom FW on my devices.  There are a lot of esp8266 switches out there, I wish you would make it easier for those that want to control the hardware with custom fw instead of your cloud based one.

1 person likes this

I second this as well. I bought these for the specific purpose just like im sure the majority of people buying sonoff has. please open up

I second this.

I have Sonoff POW R2 and after upgrade to latest 3.3.0 version it works worse :(

Current and Power values are updated very very slowly.

I want to go back to previous firmware !

3 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment