Start a new topic

Ability to downgrade firmware

Hi,

I'm one of the maintainers of the opensource project https://github.com/mirko/SonOTA , however with the latest release there appears to be certificate pinning (or similar) happening. This means that users can only upgrade the firmware in the Sonoff devices if they open it up, and solder in headers.

Using this OTA method users could get all of the benefits of an open platform, without the the need to open up the device and solder etc.

To allow customers to still do this, it would be great if you could either, provide a way of having an alternative update server (with no certificate pinning), or allow using to downgrade to previous versions of firmware that did allow SonOTA to work.

Your help is appreciated to allow every to benefit from the open platform.

Thank you.

154 people like this idea

+1

4 people like this
Please allow for downgrading, so that we may use alternative firmwares and SonOTA again! Thanks & kudos for the simple, stable and quality HW platform.

6 people like this

+1

To this day I have 1 TH, 5 Basic and 1 T1. All these devices are excellent and the SonOTA project is great. Please allow the downgrade!

5 people like this

I was a huge fan of the Sonoff's because of Tasmota, and I used to recommend them to every home DIYer that I could.  I've also bought about 20 of these devices for my own home.  That ends today -- I won't buy any more Sonoff's until we're able to flash our own firmware.

Remember that RISK WARNING that some disgruntled person sent you notification for?  Well, I came to your defense by saying that many very smart engineers have run and inspected your devices and they couldn't find anything harmful.  Well, that statement ends when you start making your firmware impenetrable.  

Until you open the devices to flash an open source firmware, you may very well put anything nefarious on our networks without being detected.  That's a show stoper.

5 people like this

Why going back when you are moving forward? I've been defending your across all forums because they are just amazing... but everyone asks's me E.g. (do they work with home assistant) and I always reply yes. Everybody is running away from cloud-based platforms when it comes to smart homes for obvious reasons. If you want to keep it that way, please do, but allow you to flash your hardware OTA, it's a must for everybody. 20, 30 sonoff's disassembled solder pins upgrade and reassemble is a lot of work and time with now need, also I am almost certain that Tasmota firmware gave a big boost of sales on your company. Please reconsider.

Best,

6 people like this
When I bought my first S20, I was lucky because it had firmware 1.5 and I could flash it using OTA.  Then I ordered 2 more to do the same, but sadly they had 1.6 already. Since I'm not a hardware guy, I won't be able to use them in the way I intended to. I planned to order more, but since it's not flashable for me anymore, I won't buy any more devices. Please enable OTA flashing again!

5 people like this

Please bring it back

4 people like this

Request Sonoff to please allow either an MQTT Firmware upgrade via OTA or downgrade to an earlier version of Sonoff Firmware < 1.6.0

I purchased more than 50 such switches!!

4 people like this

Se pelo menos o ewelink fose um aplicativo totalmente personalizavel, Ja pensou a grandeza da ITEAD se o Aplicativo fose personalizavel? Ex: imagem de fundo, opção on line ou somente wifi, botoes personalisaveis, criação de salas, condição de disparos etc etc e etc.

ABRA O OLHO ITEAD! O MERCADO NÃO PERDOA!

3 people like this

+1

3 people like this

1+

2 people like this

How is Espressif code licensed? Is it possible that ITEAD is in breach of licence since they they did not provide the source?

Either way, PLEASE open the source or at least make it possible to OTA flash with custom firmware. :( please

2 people like this

Very dissapointed that 1. my sonoff basic no longer works (Wifi dead) after a power cut.  And 2 POW are not able to be SonOTA'ed given you out of step firmware.  

4 people like this

Downgrading might help some of us, but real solution to the problem is fixing future versions so that they can be flashed OTA. Was planning to buy A LOT of those to install all over my house, but now having second thoughts.

5 people like this

Adding my two cents:

After I bought two "Sonoff Basic" devices, I was super disappointed to learn that these need cloud connectivity to work.  Not at all what I want.  I accidentally upgraded the firmware on one of them to 1.6, which precludes using SonOTA, unfortunately.  

The other I managed to (easily) flash with Tasmota, and I'm quite happy with it.  The one with Itead firmware is going into a box since cloud-only is useless to me.

I really can't understand why Itead wants this hardware locked down, when an open platform will drive sales.  Your loss.  

5 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment