Start a new topic

SONOFF. WiFi wall switch. NO NEUTRAL WIRE

Hello from cold Russia.

1)Don't use the grounding wire to connect N pin on your wall switch. If you don't want to win Darwin award. 

Look at the first picture.

2)Use capasitors to connect the switch and the bulb. 

Look at the second picture.

C1 - Capacity. Metal-film capacitor for 400 volts.

It works as a "quenching capacitor" or "resistance". In order for the "part of the current" to remain on the switch and feed it, in the switched on position of the key.

C2 - Capacity. Metal-film capacitor for 400 volts. 

Works as a "bypass" resistor. Serves to ensure that energy-saving gas-discharge or LED lamps do not blink (from the current passing through them supplying the switch) in the off position of the key.

scheme.jpg
(196 KB)
warning.jpg
(236 KB)

You dont need C2 because you ve got many LED spots, and I think that current in OFF postion of the switch will be too small to make LEDs blink.

Yep, aproximately 1uF for 5Watts. But i did not tested this solution for 60Hz. Onle 50Hz. Try it by yourself.

1 person likes this

Actually this is a "classic" solution for the RF switches that don't need a NULL line (like Livolo). They maintain a residual charge for the electronics.

That is why those switches come with a capacitor in the box, to be put in parallel with the LED bulb to prevent flickering.

If you have like 4 or more LED bulbs the capacitor is needless because they don't flicker anymore.

Just like this scheme. And since those work reliable with no issues, I believe this solution for Sonoff switch is OK.

Hi sshRage,

whole idea looks interesting but need some clarification:

on yours diagrams you've mentioned 2 wires: Neutral and Live while most of us got Ground and Live wires only so would you be able to do another diagram with L/G wires by any chance? 

Thanks in advance

Hello.

If you have Live and Ground wires it means just the same as it is NEUTRAL and LIVE.

In my schemes im talking about 3 wires. LIVE, NEUTRAL and GROUNDING. And i'm telling not to use GROUNDING wire to connect that stuff. Cause grounding is for emergency only.

If you have 2 wire system, where there is LIVE and GROUND, you should consider GROUND and NEUTRAL the same.

1 person likes this

thanks mate!

that clarifies it :)

one thing, what C1 value would be sufficient for approx 30W LED (3 x 10W LED bulbs)

Thanks

You are welcome.

Try 4,7 micro Farades.

1 person likes this

thanks mate!

ok, hooked up my switch but it wont stay on . 

gotta add that I've tried with 3.3 and 6.6uF ...any idea, @sshRage ?

my connection diagram attached.

cheers

switch.jpg
(58.3 KB)

1 person likes this

thanks mate!

will try it later on

Login or Signup to post a comment