Start a new topic

SONOFF. WiFi wall switch. NO NEUTRAL WIRE

Hello from cold Russia.

1)Don't use the grounding wire to connect N pin on your wall switch. If you don't want to win Darwin award. 

Look at the first picture.

2)Use capasitors to connect the switch and the bulb. 

Look at the second picture.

C1 - Capacity. Metal-film capacitor for 400 volts.

It works as a "quenching capacitor" or "resistance". In order for the "part of the current" to remain on the switch and feed it, in the switched on position of the key.

C2 - Capacity. Metal-film capacitor for 400 volts. 

Works as a "bypass" resistor. Serves to ensure that energy-saving gas-discharge or LED lamps do not blink (from the current passing through them supplying the switch) in the off position of the key.

scheme.jpg
(196 KB)
warning.jpg
(236 KB)

2 people have this question

Hi sshRage,

Thanks for the explanations.

I wonder whether can I use this type of capacitor. Because the wire is cover with rubber. It should be safer for this applications.

Besides that, I would like to conform (as I am not very good in electric). As I know, DC capacitor have the different of (+) and (-) pin. Does AC capacitor have this too or it can be use either orientation?

Hi sshRage,

Your solution work very well. It is just a 10uF is very big... hard to hide inside the switch box. :)

May I know why my bulb will still blink (1 out of 4). I have 4 bulb, I thought it suppose to be okay even without c2. Is it something I do wrong? 

Hello.

You will have to use C2 in parallel contion with your bulbs to make them NOT to blink.

DC capacitor is oriented (+ and -), AC - is not. AC capacitor do not have any orientation.

Hi,

Can anyone share with your experience? I changed most of my RF switch to Z-wave. Many are working great. However, I notice the switch that I use with higher uF (3.3 + 5), my Z-wave signal drop seriously. But for normal single film capacitor unit, the signal is working as it should be...

Me again. So I gave it another try. I used this type of capacitor.

I connected the switch like this.

The result is that the bulb starts turned on and when I try to turn it off, the light blinks once and then the switch resets as you can see in the video below.

https://youtu.be/Ev12M5qyRUE

@sshRage what do you suggest that I should do?

Me again. So I gave it another try.

I used this capacitor.

And I connected the switch like this.

The result is that the light is turned on after I connect it and when I try to turn it off, the light blinks one and then the switch resets as you can see in the video I made below.

@sshRage what do you suggest that I should do?

Me again. So I gave it another try.

I used this capacitor.

And I connected the switch like this.

The result is that the light is turned on after I connect it and when I try to turn it off, the light blinks one and then the switch resets as you can see in the video I made below.

sshRage what do you suggest that I should do?

Hi,

For some reason it didn't work for me :(

I use 11W LED ( tried with 5W also ).

I put 4.7uF between L and L1 -> LED blinks. Swith connects to Wifi and relay clicks when i press the switch.

So i decided to put C2 = 1uF i didn't have smaller ones.

LED stopped blinking in Off position , Wifi still connects and relay works but in On position LED blinks ?!

I also tried connecting 4.7 and 1.0 uF in parallel to increase capacity -> same thing .... 

Any ideas ?

BR,

Hi, Lyubomir Ivanov.

1. Please look for the scheme. The capacitor С1 is connected to (N and L1), not (L - L1).

2. You should use 1,5 uF  for C1. Not 4.7 - it is too much for 10W. It will not work.

И теперь по-русски, смотри внимательно схему и номиналы...

Hi, Lyubomir Ivanov

1. Look for the cheme. C1 is between N-L1. Not L-L1.

2. 4,7 is too much. Use 1,5.

А по-русски - пожалуйста, смотри внимательно схему и номиналы.

Hi,

1) Ouch :) I'll try the correct layout and values tonight :)

2) So the general rule is ~6W load per 1uF right ? Same applies for LED i guess ?

Hi sshRage,

Worked like a charm!!! :) Feel stupid about wrong wiring :D

Even the LED bulbs do not buzzz as with my Broadlink TC2 switch which does not need Neutral.

BTW i tried with 1.5 - 2.2 - 3.3 - 4.7 uF and 5W and 11W LED bulbs (all the combinations), 

no difference at all. Always works. No change in brightness or anything.

I had to put a 1uF in parallel (i dont have smaller one) to the bulbs because i had flicker.

What will be the effect of bigger C2? Less brightness of Bulb ? 

I don't think it can draw more current in Off position than the required by Sonoff itself right ?

BR,

1 person likes this

Hi.

Yep. Less current wil flow to the Bulb with bigger C2. But I guess it,ll do the trick and you will not see any difference.

Login or Signup to post a comment