Start a new topic

Control Sonoff socket with web interface instead of app?

I have a Sonoff remote control power socket, and find that the eWeLink app drains my phone's battery very quickly. Is there a way of controlling the socket over the internet using a web GUI instead of the eWeLink app?

6 people have this question

It's a matter of how much you need it. I have two Sonoffs that I control *occasionally* with my smart phone, but I want to have the OPTION of controlling them over the web instead, such that I might actually do that once a year. In that case, $10/year is highway robbery. I can think of lots better things to spend $10 a year on. For others, the choice may be quite different. 

I really think this is a great opportunity for an ad-driven service. If I want to switch my Sonoff on the web, I don't mind glancing at an ad for mattress as I do.

Haha EW, so funny. Tried to purchase the upgrade now. No luck. This PayPal only option is not an option haha. Will give it another go later. 

If anyone is interested... I recently updated my dusk to dawn script and also included an updated version of my weblinks script referenced earlier in this thread.  I have been using both for a few years now to control my outdoor lights and other things.  Requires a web server with PHP.   Enjoy.

h tee tee pee  s colon slash slash mresoftware.com/dusk2dawn.htm

1 person likes this

Hi EW,

I travel a fair bit and sometimes have people stay in my spare room while I am away.  I am using a sonoff mini to open the door via the ewelink app but want to be able to do it from a web server I am building.  I want to create a lookup table that can have info like email address, expiry date, phone etc that can be called from a web page and grant access if valid.

Do you think IFTTT would be the most simple way issue the turn on command to the switch  (inching).

So webpage  / app --> webhook to IFTTT --->  ewelink to sonoff?

I am not much of a programmer so will probably take me months to do!  I've installed Python and Flask on my server!

Yes, it's easy to do with IFTTT, but as of a few months ago, you have to pay for IFTTT. I dumped it. No excuse for SONOFF not making a free web app.

I should add that I tried Android emulators on my Mac and the free ones largely didn't work, and all of them are grotesquely large. 

Thanks for the reply Dan.  I was wondering the same.  $10 would be OK but I am not convinced it will save me a lot of effort.    I'm looking at other alternatives as well like maybe going down  the DIY mode path.  If I can send a Postman command from the same network, then the hard bit is setting up the webpage with authentication etc.  Its going to be a long journey, but hopefully there are a few shortcuts along the way!

Well, please report back if you have any success. It's almost shocking that no freeware has appeared to control SONOFFs via a web interface.

David,

Much like Dan I didn't opt for the payola option on IFTTT.  I consider that something I already paid for when I bought IOT products whose manufacturers had paid/pay IFTTT to be included on their platform. 

That aside, yes, IFTTT and webhooks would work.   You could either set up a protected folder on your server or use a list of names:passwords inside your code.

It appears  eWelink is working toward an API that will be a bit easier to use than what they currently have.  I will welcome that if and when it appears.  You can go to web.ewelink.cc/login and see their beginnings.

That API is going to cost ten bucks a year. Yes, that isn't much, but considering I would use it as an occasional safety-system, just doesn't make a lot of sense. I am confused about why one can control SONOFFs for free with a smart phone, and yet you'll have to pay to use it with a web interface. eWelink could have cleaned up by making people pay to use it on their smart phone.

Went to link to view beginnings and unfortunately need to upgrade account before can even see what they are working towards. :(  Web interface, yes please!  :)

Thanks again guys for the help.  I'll let you know how I get on.   As an aside, I did purchase a couple Shellys  and used Postman to issue commands.  it worked fine so hoping I can get the Sonoff to do same - if yes I can pursue the web option.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Sonoff mini having a few different voltage options?   it would be great if the output could be voltage free by jumpering and also nice if there were low volage options to save mucking around with the SV.

Login or Signup to post a comment