Start a new topic

Sonoff Switch Stopped working after 3 days! Please Help

Hi,

I bought one of these off amazon about 3 days ago:

WIFI Smart Sonoff Touch Switch Wireless Smart Phone Remote Control Touch Via APP eWeLink for Home Automation (EU standard) Need Neutral and Live Wire

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XYGPVKD

Downloaded the App on my iphone, installed the switch, paired using my network wifi with no issues installing it. It has worked for 3 days and simply stopped. The switch operates normally if using it manually, it also connects just fine with my router as I can see it listed on my device list (see attached screenshot).

I have tried removing the device from my network list of devices to no end, I have also tried to give a fixed ip address (192.168.1.146 on my network) as this was the original ip DHCP assigned to it.

When I open the eWeelink app, it shows the proper status of the switch (when it is ON or OFF) but when I click on the button to either turn it on or off, nothing happens and I get a popup :

"Operation Failed, please check network connectivity" But the device is online on my router device list!!! Phone is also connected to same network, but yesterday I did manage to turn on the lights remotely, this started to act up this morning!

Firmware version is 1.6.2 (Latest) 

4 people have this problem

I agree Gerry, but would you accept that a product that you purchased less than a week and with a purpose of automating your home stops working so soon?

I am a developer responsible for an ad agency, we work with amazon and normally our setup on EC2 is running over 20 servers on a load balancing setup, thats when we have a slow day....we have had no downtimes this year.

Not to say this could be something else, but me as a customer would expect at least some feedback from the company, some sort of network status or at least some control over your device, the switch now is nothing more than a dumb switch...

1 person likes this

@Gerry, I have not said that internet was the bottleneck: I assume from another post that ITEAD is using Amazon Web Services in China to host it's service, which is a provider (same as many others) that ITEAD has selected, and therefore with whom you have a contractual relationship. Although I understand that most of these providers do not provide a SLA for availability, what is normally done is (1) come up with an alternative - more reliable - host/ provider outside of these problematic (in terms of service availability) regions (such as China) to support other regions (eg. 1x DC for Europe, 1x DC for US, etc) - or (2) have a disaster recovery data center on a different location which gets replicated on a regular basis, and to where services are automatically transferred in case of service downtime

1 person likes this
I can't tell more about ...

it is surely VERY sad, when a new product won't work ...

but this happens for many things out ...

- you buy a new digital sat receiver, and due to heavy sun eruptions the first days of usage no reception ...
    - you buy a new electric car but yet no charging station near

that's all no real excuse and no solution. But again, pretty less the origin manufacturer can do on such ...

Internet is a global infrastructur and no point to point connection. Many involved parts between, different companies, different hardware, different countries with different legal systems, and every of them is just out of Iteads control ...

Even Itead has a contract with e.g. Amazone, shell we go to court somewhere in the world and open a lawsuit about? How long do you like to wait until we may get right? Even an existing contract is no guarantee for a working internet ...

I fully understand this situation, but there is very less what can be done against ...

How many companies are out who offer you a "lifetime" warranty ... and how many customers rely on ... yeah, life of a company can be very short in todays time ...

Gerry, there is a something that ITEAD can do: China has what it's known as the Big Firewall, which messes up (and monitors) with internet traffic coming in/out of it, so please assess the possibility to have AWS (or any other vendor) outside of China, to provide more reliable services to customers abroad.

even if we WOULD use a China hosted AWS service, such government controlled things would be again out of Iteads control ...

@Herik

I also only partially agree ... when you buy something and you know about its nature, about what is needed to run, you can't blame afterwards ....

- buy a TV, you know from the very beginning you need power ... can you blame Samsung, when just at the day you bought your local power plant has a power failure issue and you are not able to run your TV ... annoying, but nothing you can do about ...

- buy a new fryer, you know you need oil to use, but your local market is just out of oil ... no french fries ... annoying, but nothing you can do about ...

when you don't know about a needed item, and the seller even hide this, ok, you have the right to blame. But when you know about from the very beginning, sorry, in worst case you are first on your own in case of something missing ...

Annoying, fully agree, but we have many such cases out. And even Itead has the possibility to complain, where? Do you really think a call support-center somewhere in Bangalore with "competent" call agents far away from the real issue will/can help ...

Just an update to my issue:

I dont really know what was the reason, but it seems the device is now working again. A couple of threads previously I had mentioned that the device was showing as "offline" although it was shown as  connected on my router. I have removed the device from the app, an re-paired it again, and it now shows its proper state:

Lets see how long it lasts.....

In my case is still not working. It is really frustrating this situation. Just a proactive suggestion to the developers: Could be an idea also to develop the APP working also directly with the equipment when connected on the same LAN (or directly or via a VPN)? I know this cannot be a solution short term, but at least this is a way preventing server issues. In regards of "internet issue" have been mentioned I think that it is true the discussion related the CAR, but here we are speaking about a Garage and not about the highway then.... it should be solved urgently by who is providing the services that is who sold me the equipment even if there isn't an SLA really in place for it. Do you agree? Anyway, many thanks for the support.

1 person likes this

It does make sense....your suggestion is something interesting, also if there was a client panel on your end so we can login and clear device settings? On my case, it seems that there must be some "corruption" between data on the device and server, but I cant be sure, all I know is it is working now.

Can anybody confirm, if you set timers, do they get saved on the device so that if there is no internet communication for example, the timers will still persist?

same problem here ???????????

sorted....... hi guys had the same problem there's only one thing you can to resolve this problem .

you need to delete each device from the ewelink app and reinstall it will then work fine also working again with alexa dot ....

hope this helps

Unfortunately not for me. I deleted the equipment and uninstalled the APP. I installed again the APP and configured the equipment. Still the same answer. OFF LINE. Which is your country? I'm in Italy. Could it influence the functionality? I'm really frustrated. Regards.

Fabrizio, have you tried assigning a fixed IP address to your device on your router? Try to figure out the initial IP it was assigned to and use that, I did set a rule on my router for this, not sure if that helped but so far working here

Is this just an ios issue? Has anyone got an android device with the same issue? Theres another thread running with much the same problem http://support.iteadstudio.com/support/discussions/topics/11000015461
Thanks for the suggestion but how can discover it now? I'm using DHCP and it is difficult to know which was the IP three days ago :( Any suggestion?

My modem has a feature where I can see the least devices it connected to, I saw that the device had a previous ip assigned to it, try looking at your logs maybe?

Login or Signup to post a comment