Start a new topic

"Countdown" timer feature - pushbutton (or from turning on)

Hello everyone,

COUNTDOWN TIMER FROM MOMENT OF STATE CHANGE 

as i seen now the way to create any countdown timer has no regard to the current state of the sonoff. when a timer is created (of any kind) it creates a TIME-STAMP to change the state of the switch.

is it possible to create a timer lets say to turn off an appliance 20 minutes FROM THE MOMENT it was turned on? (its good even if this effects only turning on via push-button)

with the current situation  if i create a loop timer or any other it may turn off the device after 2 minutes as the timer is not counting from the state change.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

21 people like this idea

Btw I use google not Alexa. Screenshot attached.
Question. The recent firmware update causes the Loop timer to turn off erratically. I just updated the firmware. It has worked perfectly for over a year until now. Anyone else seeing this? Any fix?
I could swear inching didn’t work reliably a couple years ago when I first set everything up so I used the loop timer. That worked perfectly until I upgraded. Now inching is working just fine so inching it is. Thanks for the suggestion!

Unfortunately it only goes to 60mins.

Be aware some switches show in milli seconds not seconds.

ex: 3,600,000 not 3600. Ive got 2 original Sonoffs that are like that :)

I too am looking for this feature. I currently have 4 sonoff switches that I would like to be able to set timers for each switch, 60 min. 90 min. , 120 min. on a tablet behind the bar at my legion to control the 8-ball table lights. Patrons would pay at the bar for how much time they wanted and the bar steward would be able to just push the appropriate button. or even voice control it through say Google, etc. etc. The lights would come on and would go off after the time lapsed. Clean, simple and functional. This was the reason I purchased these in the first place. What would we be looking at for a timeline on this kind of functionality?

1 person likes this

You could try the countdown feature show in the app on the switches icon.

I think you need to set it each time you press the switch in the app.

I’ve never needed to change the duration of the timer so the ewelink app works fine for me. However I do not see why you couldn’t use IFTTT to do what you need. Create several buttons for each light with different times baked in. Or create the buttons to prompt for the time. IFTTT would turn the device on and turn it off when the timer runs out. Check this out: https://ifttt.com/ewelink
Latest version of Ewelink currently doesn't allow using IFTTT without paying.
That’s a crime.

1 person likes this

I have been testing out the loop timer as many have mentioned, as the inch setting does not exceed 1 hour. I have tried for the past two days setting the loop for an hour and a half on one switch and 2 hours on the other and have found wildly erratic timing, never coming close to the set time. I then tried setting both for loop with 30 minute countdown and even then they both shut off at different times. One only after 10 minutes and the other at 25 minutes. Inch seems to be dead on with it's timing, but I can not make multiple inch settings not exceed 59.5 minutes.  Not sure what direction I will be taking from here. Just wish the app had a bit more wiggle room for personal customization, that and accurate loop timing. Has anyone else had issues with the loop timing?

Yes I had the same experience with erratic times. I only need a few minutes so inching worked for me.
You cannot use a Sonoff as a count down timer. Simply, they have made it that way so that you cannot do it. For last 3 years users have wanted this simple timer function but Sonoff took oath that they won't add this simple timer feature. Inching function is less than 1hour. So called Loop Timer function may be used however, the delay time you set doesn't work correctly. At least the count down time is one minute less than the the set time. Also this time delay is random. So, I have made a a delay timer myself with 4060 IC and added with the Sonoff. But the circuit is built outside the Sonoff enclosure since the Sonoff enclosure is small. I built the count down timer circuit since I needed that feature for my Geyser ( water heater) controller. You can also purchase a Chinese Universal timer (US$ 15 or so) and attach that with the Sonoff device for count down timer. This is all about Sonoff timer.

I think all the terminology each user is posting, the lack of screen shots of both IOS and android apps, the lack of users adding what firmware they are on, plus the updates to the various firmware means this forum is completely lost.  "When I turn on the device" and "switch off the fan" is useless to anyone. Im sure users who require different functionality end up on the same forum post, all conflicting each other as well. We need one intelligent user to think through how its best to post the question, eliminating the above confusions. You would need to create a video, or a flow chart with the complexities of each user or automated interaction, all seperated. I've built a couple for robot automation systems, but it takes time, plus you'll need a footnote explaining what the terminology means within the flowchart.

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment