Start a new topic

Switch module (ESP8266 based) for in-wall switches

Hi,

I think it would be great if you could design a small esp8266-based switch module, possibly versions with dimmer as well, that can be installed in existing in-wall switches for EU/US standards. This way you can keep the existing light switch for manual control but add the possibility to remotely control the light switch via WiFi.

Similar modules are available today for z-wave and other wireless standards, this is an example of such a product:

http://aeotec.com/z-wave-in-wall-switches/187-z-wave-in-wall-lights-controller.html

10 people like this idea

@garry it's better if you connect a bell push switch to the pulse of sonoff rather than buying that expensive e77 wall switch. Bell push switch buttons are available in the market for as low as 0.30 usd

@Deepesh : I have quite the same needs that Garry has exposed.

And I would like to keep the form factor of my (expensive) actual wall switch (espacially for my wife compliance :D)

What do you think technically about E77 solution ? does it really work ?

Does someone already try it ?

Thank you

I think the E77 solution might work well for your needs but it seems expensive. It costs almost same as an sonoff module. I suggest to look up for a pulse switch (door bell one) the same type of that which you already have in your wall. Check the Brand/make of your own home switches and then search for it. I did the same for all my home devices. The look well integrated now. I also use Alexa(echo dot and Amazon music app),ewelink and physical bell switches to operate my devices when my internet(wifi) is down. I'll attach pics of my integrated bell push switches. I have all anchor woods series switches at home. Getting a woods bell switch was only option to save my home's looks. Sonoff modules are wired inside my switch boards. Ps - they have a bell icon on them which sucks but I don't really mind them.
image.jpg
(2.34 MB)

1 person likes this

Hello Deepesh. thank you for this tip. But I can't solder wire where you show. I have some Sonoff RF and Sonoff basic. Seems to be R2 version and there are not made as shown. Could you help with these models ?

Thank you

There must be a pulse button on the device. Open the circuit and Tap into that pulse button by soldering on the button's ending part that's attached with the board. Shown in my earlier posts in this discussion.
Thank you. But it's not an easy way on sonoff Basic R2. Do you identify the most convenient place to solder the wires ?
This is the best place!
@garry: After reading your comments on E77 modules, I had bought 5pcs of these modules from eBay.com, Installation was very easy. I'm using them since last one month and all of them are working perfectly. Although they seem to be on a bit expensive side but practically they saved a lot ( otherwise I had to change all my wall switches). I have also contacted the manufacturer directly on lebhile.com@gmail.com and they agree to offer a good bulk discount on these modules. So ordering around 25pcs more for my entire house. I recommend using these modules.
Login or Signup to post a comment