Start a new topic

Local, LAN control

Last week I lost control over my house, for 12 hours, because something went wrong with iTead systems.

Sonoff devices device works flawlessly per se, and I'm very happy to have 13 of them around my house.

But...

I'm beginning to think there's a glitch in their marketing model. I haven't thought for a moment that they want to spy on us, like some else implied in this forum, but every serious usage require redundancy and backup.

We cannot rely on the whole "cloud" model to be always working: too many things can go wrong on the user side, on itead side and, eventually, on the side of the many third party service providers involved (ISPs and Cloud providers above all).

Every digital and/or networking system might stop working every now and then. While we can surely afford not to remotely switch on a light, what about water heating, house heating, door opening, surveillance systems?

I did my best to build redundancy in my installations, but there are two factors that are not easily overcame.

First, some sonoff device might be (and in my case are) difficult to be physically reached: inside walls or up near the ceiling, the onboard switch is almost useless in these cases.

Second, Dual sonoff aren't capable of manually switching the connected devices on/off: if the system isn't working (i.e. they are offline), the only possible solution is to uninstall them, which is not acceptable at all.

iTead (and coolkit) seem to be trying to sell their solution to third parties (other manufacturers who are supposed to relay onto their whole solution, cloud included) which is cool. If I had to, I would guess that's why they are so "cloud-centered": to offer a easy and rapid solution, all included. It's cool. 

But other than toyish usages, without redundancy their solution is unimplementable: I hope they realize this soon (if they haven't already).

The solution that comes to mind is very simple, and a few have already suggested it here: a dual control system. The cloud is great for remote control, but when the app is on the same local network the sonoff devices are, everything should switch to local. Simply put: automatic switching to LAN control.

If I'm home, I should be able to control my devices even if my Internet connection is down.

If they could do this with an open protocol, that would be top. But after all, not everyone of us wants to build his/her own system: I'm cool with their app, they can keep their protocol reserved as much as they want. To me, the only thing that matters is that I don't ever lose control over my house again.

Other than the above, thank you iTead, I'm very happy with your products!

What do you think?

84 people like this idea

Simone, confermo ancora tutto offline. Ma il problema principale è che si gestiscono case con questi Sonoff, io per esempio gestisco un intero B&B per regolare i termosifoni elettrici di ogni singola stanza. Solo per fare un esempio :-( Penso si debba fare pressioni tutti assieme verso Itead, spronandonoli a rilasciare la versione che permette in controllo nella LAN Locale. Aprendo Ticket, scrivendo qui e sui vari Social. Io non mi tiro indietro, mi sono già attivato. LET'S GO!!!

My Ewelink shows a message, that they have to update their servers and will be not available for one hour! *lol* Here it doesn't work since this morning and that's ~10 hours without function.

@the Italian users:

I think it makes no sense to write down your claims in Italian language. I'm sure that no one in China speaks Italian and also the most peaople in the rest of the world.

Yeah, that message is pretty laughable ;-) My two smart switches change between connected and disconnected since 2 or 3 hours. At one time, I was actually able to switch them on and off with the app despite the said message still being displayed, though I still couldn't operate them with Alexa. Now they are back to just not working at all. I own these since two days and this doesn't convince me to buy any more of those. Bummer.

It is curious that it always seems to be the European Server that stops working. As they are 6hrs ahead of most of Europe it doesn’t make much sense. My experience of support is that they seem to use a Google Translate anyway, so not convinced it matters what language the original is, not that they frequent these forums often anyway.
I think it inserted if maybe different parts of the world get different forums: so I VPN and used a new browser (chrome in private mode) - I still get the same even though I appear to be in Montreal. Which makes me wonder why it always seems to be Europe. When was the last thread from people in North America because their local server was down… It seems like they can make a reliable server, but choose not to for Europe. Any ideas why?
Hi EB, maybe it's possible that the server location depends on the cuntry code you choose when you signing in with the ewelink app? The cuntry code is the only thing, that is every time the same. ;) Regards Michael
If it is that simple I may start again and choose China as my home. A slow service is better than no service. The main thing I don’t understand is why it is the European server they break every time - what is it that is special about this server… maybe the person in charge of Europe is just the son of the boss or something.

Has anyone tried intercepting the network traffic to see if we might be able to sniff the protocol and build  LAN control ourselves?

Hi ITEad, At least for the money I spent on sonoff devices let us do a firmware update by OTA and we leave your server. Or refund de money. Thanks in advance

2 people like this

@Michael: Interesting thought. Has anyone tried to setup a new account with China as their home ? Does it work ?. I was kinda hoping that everything would be working again when I wake up this morning, but it doesn't. It sometimes works via Alexa, but not using the eWeLink App.

1 person likes this

This should be a wake-up call for ITEAD to provide us with local control...

4 people like this

Giving control to end-users would definitely reduce their costs as well as support cases in the long run.  Makes sense business-wise.  I really dont understand how they work but I do hope that they'd get local control support pushed down fast.  

1 person likes this
To all posters, you need to click on "like" on the original post at the top of this thread for this to be given notice by ITead. It would be great if they prioritise this feature request for local MQTT support.

1 person likes this
@Rudi:
Yes it should, but that doesn't work. Seeemed that they are not interested in. :-( This threat is more then year old and it's in the "Feature request" area. - So there are only two or three possibilities...

1. General they are not interesed in feature requests from customers.
2. They are not able to realise the local lan control and they are cowardly to recognise that here in the forum.
3.  They just want make money and problems of the customers are uninteresting. 

Best regards
Michael

4 people like this
It obvious they only want customers money and not interest in local control because when they make new product line under new brand they shut down old servers and customers force to buy new product line.

2 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment