Start a new topic

Local, LAN control

Last week I lost control over my house, for 12 hours, because something went wrong with iTead systems.

Sonoff devices device works flawlessly per se, and I'm very happy to have 13 of them around my house.

But...

I'm beginning to think there's a glitch in their marketing model. I haven't thought for a moment that they want to spy on us, like some else implied in this forum, but every serious usage require redundancy and backup.

We cannot rely on the whole "cloud" model to be always working: too many things can go wrong on the user side, on itead side and, eventually, on the side of the many third party service providers involved (ISPs and Cloud providers above all).

Every digital and/or networking system might stop working every now and then. While we can surely afford not to remotely switch on a light, what about water heating, house heating, door opening, surveillance systems?

I did my best to build redundancy in my installations, but there are two factors that are not easily overcame.

First, some sonoff device might be (and in my case are) difficult to be physically reached: inside walls or up near the ceiling, the onboard switch is almost useless in these cases.

Second, Dual sonoff aren't capable of manually switching the connected devices on/off: if the system isn't working (i.e. they are offline), the only possible solution is to uninstall them, which is not acceptable at all.

iTead (and coolkit) seem to be trying to sell their solution to third parties (other manufacturers who are supposed to relay onto their whole solution, cloud included) which is cool. If I had to, I would guess that's why they are so "cloud-centered": to offer a easy and rapid solution, all included. It's cool. 

But other than toyish usages, without redundancy their solution is unimplementable: I hope they realize this soon (if they haven't already).

The solution that comes to mind is very simple, and a few have already suggested it here: a dual control system. The cloud is great for remote control, but when the app is on the same local network the sonoff devices are, everything should switch to local. Simply put: automatic switching to LAN control.

If I'm home, I should be able to control my devices even if my Internet connection is down.

If they could do this with an open protocol, that would be top. But after all, not everyone of us wants to build his/her own system: I'm cool with their app, they can keep their protocol reserved as much as they want. To me, the only thing that matters is that I don't ever lose control over my house again.

Other than the above, thank you iTead, I'm very happy with your products!

What do you think?

80 people like this idea

hello to all gauys i'm in iran and one of the most important thing in iran is losing internet connectivity,many smart device and product are in iran that are used to automation but most of them capable to lan and local control base on this problem surely local(lan)control is on of the important option for these device actually most of the time we are in our home that we exactly use smart device in it we need to able control our smart device without any internet connection,somtimes nternet connection is losed,or cloud server will unavailable in fact in this situation all of our device could not be used and will be useless so we claim to itead please add local (lan)control option to their firmware what do you think about my opinion?

So I've always tested this system when I have Internet and really couldn't believe there was no local control ... So I killed my connection and couldn't believe it. But here's what I find odd : I'm in South Africa and the latency over the ocean is very noticeable. So, using my Amazon Dot has a 3 second delay which I expect. But being on the same network is almost instant. I actually think it must be local control? But it still oddly requires the Internet ...
I contact with support center last week ,they told me some of their product such as sonoff basic ,touch,RF, slampher and sonoff s20 socket now support local control but i havn't any of this product plz any one have some of this product firstly update to new firmware with OTA then try to test it and reply his experience . Have a good time gauys.

Yes, these devices have added local control, although it's not very stable for now but it works and if I did not have Internet I tested it

1 person likes this

OK - I'll try again tonight.

I'm sure I had the latest firmware (could be wrong) when I tried the other night with my Slampher, but it wouldn't control. The manual buttons, as the OP said, just won't work.

This is a bad decision only cloud control from itead,it make their product useless i don't wana use my device only over internet and cloud connection:((

1 person likes this

Now parts of devices(one channel device and touch) can be control via LAN,it need to update your firmware to latest version.

3 people like this

Pow?

If these now have local control how do you send an on or off command?

If I kill internet connection device fails to switch from app.

I have a sonoff basic.

I sent feed back from the eWelink app asking about local control.

the reply was it isn't possible.

So Which Is it?

1: Local control is not possible from the App?

2: Local control is not possible using itead firmware ( the device needs to be flashed with third party firmware)?

3: You need to send a URL request. If so what do you send to the Modules IP?

Flashing the firmware isn't that difficult I've done a few and don't mid that for a custom application.

However for simple appliance  or light control it isn't worth my time.

I've put off getting more itead products as local control is important to me as it is for others.

The market is full of inexpensive automation alternatives (With local control) 

Why is this so hard of a option to add to all of the itead Wi-Fi devices?

2 people like this
Any body know how to switch between cloud mode and local mode on ewelink application?

@ mohammad

though I haven't got a clear explanation from itead it looks like the app switches automatically.

Occasionally I'll get a "controlled by Lan " message in red when attempting to switch my Sonoff  and the status of the device does change.

However if I disconnect my internet I never see this message nor does my device change status.

To me this indicates the switching to local control isn't reliable as Valentin Tomov reported earlier

Today I finally got confirmation from itead, the app auto switches to local Lan control when no Internet is detected.

However the device must have been already paired to the Lan when internet was available.

The message "Lan Control" appears when a device is controlled from the app.

No further details were supplied.:(

I'm not sure why all itead devices aren't supported yet as they all use the ESP WI-FI chip

1 person likes this
@Tuicemen Good news! Did you test it? Does it work good over lan same cloud control?

@ mohammad hossein norouzi

I did test this even though I was told my device didn't support this.

I have seen the Lan Control message in the app when the sonoff was on the fringe of my routers Wi-Fi range.

However if I disconnect from the internet I don't see this message nor does my device switch.

So for me and my current device it doesn't work.

Login or Signup to post a comment