Start a new topic

Control Sonoff devices without internet could / MQTT

Is there any official way to configure Sonoff devices to talk with private home automation controllers (like OpenHAB, Home Assitant, tec.) instead of public cloud service that is used by eWeLink?

This page suggests that Sonoff is possible to work with MQTT:

"Sonoff - WiFi Wireless Smart Switch for MQTT COAP Smart Home"

https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-wifi-wireless-switch.html

How can I configure my Sonoffs to talk with MQTT broker hosted in my LAN? Later via MQTT it can be intergated with other applications.

I saw some alternative firmware projects, don't know how reliable they are, but is there anything official from ITEAD?

48 people like this idea

@Andrew C, can you please provide more details on your setup - I'm Homeseer user as well and want to use Sonoff relays.

is there any news? Does the company plan to add official support for MQTT? Where can I find this information? I would not like to reflash all devices.

The problem is that the regular scripts are very low-functional and do not have interrelations with other devices.

Hi,

From capturing packets between  eWelink and cloud I found that there is no any security encryprions, there is 80 and 8080 ports and there is no HTTPS, TLS. 

May be new versions are more effecient ?>

Timur.

Guys, pls remember to 'Like' the top parent comment from Motueka, for this to be even visible to ITead. MQTT locally on LAN is a must for serious home automation integration. I would love this natively supported without reflashing. To enable OpenHab with MQTT and/or NodeRed. Better integration with many other IoT suite of devices.

Maybe one day ITEAD can bill for the service to command the sonoff?

because today the service is totally free, right?

I did see that ITEAD recently made it so one could control Sonoff devices without the Internet connection (i.e., LAN only) (I abandoned eWeLink long ago so I can't comment on how that works exactly). So they heard that message.

But ITEAD is not heeding any of these requests for MQTT support. In addition, even though they promote in some of their marketing that the devices can be user modified, they've taken many steps to make it harder and harder to do so. First it was ending the ability to OTA any firmware onto the device. Then, the protocol that once allowed things like simple_sonoff_server to mimic the eWeLink cloud on one's LAN was changed. Then they started sealing up the PCB connector holes with solder to make it more difficult to make one's own connections.

There are companies like Allterco Robotics making a line of inexpensive Shelly branded smart switches (Sonoff Basic ~$5, Shelly 1 ~$10) that support MQTT in the factory firmware. Some of their devices even come with an easy to connect external set of pins to easily flash their device with custom firmware if one prefers. Those devices that don't have an externally exposed "flashing" header can still be flashed by accessing the internal PCB. My point, there are alternatives. Competition is good for the consumer, i.e., us!

The Internet is very clever. simple_sonoff_server was a brilliantly simple solution evolved by the hive mind. Or the myriad of custom firmware solutions (e.g., TASMOTA) that make automation using MQTT straightforward. ITEAD can try and try to stop us. Instead, they should join the effort and prosper by increasing sales by encouraging the maker community rather than try to shut it down. Otherwise, we'll find alternatives (e.g., Shelly).

There are also several solderless solutions shared on the Internet:

2 people like this

And now they removed GPIO14 pin. Like the want to fail... I am looking in the direction of Shelly. Its almost twice the price, but its worth it if you consider the painful process to make Sonoff usable. And time is money, and now ITEAD will be losing it, as more people will migrate away.

You really had something, but you are ruining it ... to the ground

1 person likes this
Maybe it's overall easier to use Shelly devices, instead of flashing..

2 people like this

@Anders - yes.

Many inexpensive alternatives are available.

Shelly is great in that it supports MQTT out of the box... yet they also make it possible, even simple, to flash one's own firmware if that's one's preference.

Tuya based devices (out there by the boatload) can now be flashed OTA without physically connecting them.

ITEAD is making it harder and harder... consumers will vote with their wallets on whether their policies are acceptable.

I have  in stalled 2 smart bulb sockets in my mom's bedroom and in the kitchen and am able to control them locally using my WIfi router.  When the server goes down or erratic I control them using the LAN  (offline) my RF remote.  I was wondering since this is the first time I have used SONOFF devices, are all your your devices like the smart bulbs and all smart switches like the basic and 4 ch smart switches, smart plugs  work this way?  I find them very useful when my connection is down or offline.

Been reading up on alternatives to Sonoff and found Shelly too.  Far more promising than Sonoff.  I've spent a lot of money on Sonoff products over the years but considering you're not allowed any option to have local control over your own switches, I'd look to remove and toss out my Sonoff switches soon.  Long run - not worth it at all.

Prem,

I have come to a similar conclusion. Shelly is taking a completely different approach from ITEAD. Shelly is making a broad line of devices that come with built-in MQTT support allowing one to run them locally without connecting to the vendor's cloud. They ALSO have made it easy to flash one's own firmware if that's what one prefers. Many of their devices come with pin headers already installed (i.e., no need for soldering) so that one can connect a serial module and upload new firmware.

There are also a vast number of device makers that base their devices (a vast multitude here also) on Tuya Wi-Fi modules. The Tuya modules can be programmed with custom firmware without the need to access the programming contacts. The firmware update is done wirelessly via Wi-Fi.

Finally, I would not discard your Sonoff modules. Even though it's not as straightforward as the previous two examples, you can connect to most Sonoff devices pretty easily in order to replace their firmware. This will allow you to have MQTT capabilities on your Sonoff devices. In the case of TASMOTA firmware, you can even configure them to have some localized intelligence to control itself (e.g., time of day on/off, etc.) without the need of MQTT.

Now, having said all of this, if you opt for local control via MQTT, you will most likely want to deploy a home automation hub like openHAB, Home Assistant, etc. This opens up the possibilities of how you can control your devices with considerably more automation intelligence.

But don't discard your Sonoffs. If anything, send them to me ;-)

Mike

Login or Signup to post a comment