Start a new topic

"Virtual" momentary switch option in the eWeLink app

It would be great if you can implement ability to automatically switch off after a set period of time (example 3 seconds), thus creating a virtual momentary switch in the app.

51 people like this idea

Hi everyone, we don't support to set the timer in seconds. Even our competitors say they can support, it proves they can't make it. It's a technology obstruction. At least, we can't make it in a short time.

Hello Just so I understand, are we talking of the delay between unlock and lock again? I need to know if we can manage to change the delay timer at 5 seconds currently to a user defined range As the default time before it relocks.
I don't see any type of momentary in my app either. But here's a thought:
For our garage doors it would be ok to have app control BUT does that really go far enough? The problem we have all faced at one point or another is "did I remember to close the door?" https://opengarage.io/ has a real good solution for not only controlling remotely but also status based on an electric eye. WOW, if sonoff could come up with their own version and if it could work through ewelink, EXCELLENT.
I have created a support ticket abt. this and if you agree get on it and create more tickets to grab their attention.

2 people like this

its concerning that your IT team does think that a momentary operation feature is practical. there are many uses for such a feature. Mine is a garage door where i have the wireless and RF version operating the garage door. not having to guess what state the switch was left in would be great. Please Please add this feature to your eWlink app. 

1 person likes this
I too got in contact with itead re: the garage issue and got the same response. Too bad, they are missing out.
Richard, in the meantime build your own with opengarage. I know it uses yet another app but it is free. I am building mine for $8 with parts from ebay. There is really nothing to it and no soldering. If you have any experience with playing with your smartphone ROM it will be cake. No coding, no soldering, no monthly fees, can't go wrong for $8.
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/opengarage-open-source-wifi-garage-opener/17228/44
This is where I got my info but there are a lot of other forums devoted to this device because it has so many uses.
You don't really need to pay any attention to the posts about code, that's just folks who love to write their own firmware, the firmware to run this is already complete and has been solid for a while.
Do pay attention to the different types of 8266  board, I verified the one I bought by the size of the chip, the difference is pretty obvious.

I know this is archaic and round about, but if you were to control an on delay relay with your sonoff and then connect your load through the normally closed contacts you would then have a pulse. Power would only flow through for as long as you set the timer. This is old school relay logic and these timers can be had on ebay for a reasonable price. A possible example. I've not used this particular one, I used older surplus industrial control types that I picked up at auctions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cycle-Delay-Timing-Timer-Relay-Switch-Turn-ON-OFF-Module-AC-110V-120V-220V-230V-/122606410092?epid=917799535&hash=item1c8be9596c:g:6K4AAOSwJ4hY-dYd

Ewelink currently only supports timers in days, hours, or minutes. Seconds is not available as an option but there are at least 10 to 20 different feature requests in the forums for this exact same feature expressed in slightly different ways. It looks like the company has attempted to do this but in other places made comments that it is not possible to do based on seconds. I understand. There's an inherent latency through the Internet and Wi-Fi and it doesn't have that level of accuracy to the second. It can be fairly close most of the time at least typically with a two or three second possible delay, but usually within 1-2 seconds.

Sonoff, Ewelink, iTead, or Coolkit, whatever name you want to go by. If you're listening here is how you can solve this problem by thinking outside the box. My guess is from the app your only able to call a function and not pass a specific value such as delay (time in seconds). So currently the timer is done at the server level and when the timer is triggered in the app or on the server it calls a function relayopen () or relayclose (). Consequently, in the app allow the timer to be set in increments of 5 seconds, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 35 sec, 40 sec, 45 sec, 50 sec. and 55 sec. This requires adding 11 single-line function calls to the firmware i.e.: Delay5sec(), Delay10sec(), Delay15sec(), ... Etc. then from the timer function in the EweLink App, only allow customers to set the seconds wheel to the available values at a resolution of five seconds, or if that's difficult because of the app control simply specify that whatever the number of seconds and sent to it will always be rounded up or down to the nearest five seconds.

Similarly even if something is set to 15 seconds, that means it could activate based on natural Internet latencies, while it will usually activate within 15-17 seconds, sometimes it could be between 15 and 20 seconds and if there's a major problem with the Internet, on rare occurrences it may be even less than five second accuracy. So whatever you implemented on must not cause major problems if the accuracy is outside of 5 seconds. But for garage door for example, if you set it to close for 10 seconds or open for 10 seconds and it happens to run for 15 seconds it will simply get to the end of travel and stop. for watering the plants waters for a few extra seconds than what is planned it's not going to really be critical and hurt anything. The customer must utilize it in the way appropriate based on technological capabilities and limitations.

so Sonoff, Ewelink, iTead, or Coolkit, now that I have given you a solution to the problem that works within the technological limitations, it's about 1 hour of implementation time. Maybe 1 day if you have a lot of regression testing to do. Could you please get this implemented?

Everyone else, requesting that the timer have a resolution in seconds, or asking for some sort of the delay functionality, please vote this up and emphasize that this solution would meet your needs. That it doesn't have to be to the exact second for most applications.

Mark Felling, Broadened Horizons Inc., Software Quality Test Automation Engineer, EE, MBA, who also happens to be quadriplegic disabled with no use of hands or arms specializing in how we as humans interact with technology in the world around us. Disability is nothing more than differential ability, requiring reframing thought about what is "human" norm. Most of our user interfaces are defined by institutional and societal habits and traditions. #ThinkOutsideTheBox

3 people like this

Delay10sec () {

relay (0);         // closes the relay by setting GPIO pin high or low depending on logic

wait (10000);   // or whatever equivalent function is depending on IDE/language

relay (1);         // opens the relay by setting GPIO high or low depending on logic

Now why is that so hard to implement?  Just copy and paste 11 times for each 5 second increment.  and that's assuming you can't pass a value. If you can pass a value, then just pass the value in seconds don't allow for resolution of less than 5 seconds increments.

1 person likes this
Mark, you posted as a reply to me, Itead isn't going to pay any attention to it, You should open a ticket with itead directly to get them to look at your idea. Even then you will most likely get a nonsensical response unless you specify you want an engineer to review.

with this mode of short pulsation will multiply the sales by 100 at least as far as I am concerned.
sorry if my posting was an offense but I really think sales would go up a lot. my intention was not to offend just what I thought. Please itead is very important and necessary function pulse to complete the installations in homes pulse and you will have endless possibilities.
must have.

So sad to see no response. I have several electric door latches and garage doors just waiting to be controlled via ewelink/google home. But it looks like I will have to go else where to find the hardware to do this.

A momentary function would be great for garage doors and irrigation systems control. Can it be added?

Not sure if there are any updates on this? Like everyone else here, having a momentary/pulse option on the app would be invaluable. I have a security gate that I can only open using an old shared RF 27Mhz remote (R/C). I imagine it's the same as a garage door remotes: one momentary click to make the door open/close. It's not ideal, but since my gate remote needs to be used by others as well, I just connected a N/O mini 5V relay to the remotes switch internally, then I use the Itead/Sonoff/Ewelink controller to supply power to the relay. To open the gate, I manually tap the power ON for a few seconds, then OFF again (otherwise the remote will keep transmitting, preventing the security gate from automatically closing and eventually flattening the battery on the remote.) YES, I did this by accident once... left it ON, the gate stayed open, the remote kept transmitting & battery went flat. the gate then closed and when I returned hours later, I couldn't get in! Apart from the above, this has worked perfectly every time whether I use the app locally over my WIFI or remotely via WAN/ Internet. I'm guessing the limitation is with the software/ app getting the timer to work in seconds? If the concern is with network congestion & latency, maybe add the momentary switch as an "optional feature - under development - use at your own risk" kinda thing?
Login or Signup to post a comment